Monday, March 7, 2011

A rearview mirror is a beautiful thing.

A few months ago I was driving down the street just enjoying whatever, thinking about whatever, in la-la land as I normally am while driving, when all of a sudden my rearview mirror falls off. Just falls off. The first thing I do, of course, is check my rearview mirror to see if the person behind me saw it happen. Oh right, IT'S NOT THERE. Let me tell you, a car looks mighty naked with no rearview mirror attached to the windshield. I wasn't that far from home, but I had to, at some point in the very near future, re-attach it to my window. Having no rearview mirror is a fantastic time to run errands looking for glue to glue it back on. I almost didn't look at the road even once on my way to Wal-Mart because my spider windshield crack looked worse with no mirror to hide the worst part of it. So I was extra sure that this was when my windshield was going to have had enough and just collapse into my lap. I made it to Wal-Mart and found the glue.

Reversing out of a parking stall with no rearview mirror is a tricky task. By the time I got back to my car I had already forgotten why I was even at Wal-Mart, so when I got into my car and started to head home it was a surprise to see, well, nothing, when I went to reverse. I hated my life so much at that point.

In the end I successfully glued my mirror back in place, with minimal nervousness about how the window was actually bending as I held the mirror in place waiting for the glue to set. Too much pressure? Maybe. But if it meant the mirror may not stay in place I thought maybe it was ok.

To date I have noticed my rearview mirror shifted into different positions a handful of times. Maybe ghosts. Maybe funny passengers. I'm not sure. Today, however, I had to slam on my brakes at one point while driving because a minivan didn't know how to change lanes (a signal is an excellent way to start...then doing a shoulder check is another fantastic thing to do before moving your vehicle into the side of mine). As soon as I recover from my minor heart attack, I notice that my rearview mirror is in a different position. *Lightbulb goes on* My erratic driving is what's causing my shifty mirror! Good. There's no ghosts. That's the moral I got out of it anyway, not that I should maybe simmer on my brake slamming.

I'm still waiting for the day I arrive at my destination with a lapful of glass. And tears streaming down my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment